Sunday, January 23, 2011

Take the good with the bad...

Let's start with the good. This week was eye opening for me. On our second to last PT session we were told we were going for a long run. It was a test of endurance, a test of a strong mind to push through the pain that would make us want to quit, and a test of our heart that makes us finish what we have started. Mr. K can surely give a speech, but in my heart I know it was directed to me, the weakest runner of the bunch! We started the session with the usual warm up of push ups, crunches, and such. Next we ran through the obstacle course twice and at the end Mr. K looks at me with his stern face and says, "Ma'am, I hope you know, as I do, that this obstacle course isn't an issue for you." With a quick "yes sir" I ran back into my place in line. After that was the run. I was miserable for about a mile until my legs loosened up and my breathing relaxed. It was smooth sailing from then on. Once we got back to the track outside of the gym Mr. K turns and asks the class which of us had never run 4 miles and of course I raised my hand. Then he asks who has never run more than 6 miles and my hand stayed in the air. He then says, "Congratulations, you just ran 6 and a half miles." I couldn't have wiped the smile off of my face if I tried. That was a huge accomplishment for me and I didn't hate it!

Good news number two. One of my very best friends had her first baby! I seem to be missing all of the good stuff back home. I'm going to need to see lots of pictures to play catch up on my own life!

Good news number three. We all passed our last law exam. I stressed out a bit on this one because I didn't think I understood the material very well. I guess I was wrong because I scored a 90% on it. So that makes one more written test, a fitness test, and a practical exam to go. We are almost done!!

Now for the sad news. I found out tonight a friend that I met on my first day out in the field as an EMT died yesterday. He was a close friend who was there through all of my tears when my grandparents died and made me feel a little less lonely when my sister moved. To make a long story short he was one person who smeared the lines of blood and water. Although some would argue that blood is thicker than water and he was just water, he always made me feel like he was my blood. Today was a sad day.

I hope everyone is doing well.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I know I talk to you several time a day, every day and know all that is in your blog before you tell your stories, but I still enjoy reading all your accomplishments and sadly your sorrow nonetheless.

    You will forever remember your friend with fondness. And know that I know when you speak of "blood is thicker than water"...he was blood.

    Mommy loves you...

    ReplyDelete